Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Surgery Was A Success

Well today was the big day for Tyler and Trevin. We got up at 5:30 and pulled them out of bed at 6:00. Check-in was at 6:30 and we finished that at 7:00. That meant we had to sit and wait for 90 minutes for them to come and get Trevin. It was a long wait, but the boys spent most of it watching SportsCenter. Trevin's surgery took about 35 minutes and he did really well. The doctor said his lymph node was enlarged, but that it looked like a normal lymph node. Of course you never know until the biopsy results, but it was encouraging to hear that. Trevin came out of it really well too. He woke up quickly and didn't have any nausea. He was eating popsicles in no time. After I gave him his third one, I said: "Wow, three popsicles." Before I could even throw the wrapper away, he replied: "Yeap. Maybe four." And sure enough, a short time later the nurse brought him another one. Take a look at the picture at the bottom and you'll be able to easily guess what flavor he had.
The boys took a quick break from ESPN to give a thumbs up.
But this was more the norm.
Tyler was taken in at 9:30 and his procedure was only about 10 or 15 minutes long. However, it took him a lot longer than Trevin to come out of it. He threw up several times and he generally felt lousy and tired. Eventually he got the anesthesia out of his system and they were able to leave at around noon. They are both doing well, and feeling well, tonight. It has been really hard to keep them down, especially Trevin. He feels fine and wants to play, but he is supposed to take it easy for a few days; which is going to be very hard to do. Here is Tyler with one of his puke bags, but still able to smile.
What flavor do you want?
So all in all, even though it was a really long day, things went really well. And thanks to Grandma Shirts, who watched the other three. And thanks to Bailey, who pulled up her sleeves and helped Grandma a ton with her other two little brothers. She is so awesome about that. It is just amazing how she perceives the need and just gets it done. Grandma said she took care of everything, and we believe it, because that is what our little mini-mom does. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. We'll keep you posted on the Trevin's results, which should come early next week.


Ging said...

Hurray!! I am glad to hear they are both doing well. Tyler I know how you feel- my body doesn't like anesthesia either. I hope you got a popsicle eventually?? Trevin looks like he had charcoal and a stomach pump-I suppose it was much better... and grape flavored.

Daniel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

I am glad to hear both boys made it through!! I bet the loved they sweet hospital clothes.

Deon said...

Glad all went well. Love the popsickles! Bailey is a trooper. I bet she would rather being mini-mom than hospital bound!