Sunday, June 28, 2009

What's In A Name?

Well, this might seem a little strange to some of you, or maybe all of you, but it is what is. The naming of our new baby boy has brought much angst for me. It has been bothering me at every turn, and especially in every prayer I offer. I do not know all the reasons why now (although I have some good ideas -- I expect he will be a great missionary throughout his life), but the Lord has a personal vested interest in the naming of this child. Of course, there is certainly scriptural precedence of the Lord having a say in people's names. And, although we call these special spirits "our children," indeed they were, and are, his children first. We are just their caretakers here on the earth.

Personally, I love the name Maddox Ammon, and I really do not want to change it. The rest of the family liked it, too. Even the kids have finally got it down, and they didn't want a change. Also, the legal aspects will probably be a pain, too, since the paperwork has already been submitted as Maddox Ammon. But the Lord has made it clear by the whisperings of the spirit that this son of his needs to go by Ammon. So, he will. If the legal process is too expensive or difficult, then he will remain Maddox Ammon, and go by his middle name. However, as one who has had to live with going by his middle name all his life (and it is a big pain), we will do all we can to legally change it to Ammon Maddox. But if we do ever have another boy, as of now, I would plan on using Maddox as the first name for that kid. That's how much I like it. Anyways, sorry to anyone who has already begun sewing a "cute" little sweater with the name Maddox on it, but again, the Lord has made it significantly clear that he wants the name of this child to be Ammon. And I know from experience that when we align our will with the Lord's, we can't go wrong.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I think I heard before that it's actually pretty easy to legally change a kid's name before they turn 18.
And this might seem dumb, but when I read your blog and tried letting Maddox Ammon roll off my tongue, it didn't seem quite right. So even though it's none of my business and therefore I shouldn't care, I'm kinda glad (and not surprised at all) to hear that you're changing it around. :)