Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Random Acts Of Life

OK, so it's been much longer than I anticipated since the last time I "blogged". Funny, who ever thought "blog" would become part of our vocabulary. The word blog sounds like it could be used to describe so many other things (just use your imagination). Anyways, we have been busy with life. A couple weeks ago, while in Eugene, Carol found me in bed in a deep gaze. "What, are you like in deep thought, or something?" she said with a laugh. "Yes. As a matter of fact I am." I was contemplating our home and how we could make it a little larger by eliminating some of our "stuff." Well, two weeks later, we have sold our 6-piece bedroom set, our office desk, cabinet and chair, and our entertainment center. Ah, the beauty of Craig's List. We now have all four kids in one room and the office is officially a play room. And speaking of Craig's List, after searching several stores for a dresser that would be similar to the one we did keep, we headed to Craig's List and wouldn't you know it, we found an exact match for only $40 (we bought ours years ago at Fred Meyer). We were thrilled. However, "the Lord gave and the Lord taketh away." Just minutes before we were to leave to pick it up, the lady called to inform us that her son had sold it while she was at work. We were crushed. "I know that anything is possible with the Lord, but we're probably not going to find another exact match, again," I was heard saying to Carol. Whoa now, just minutes later Carol worked her Craig's List magic and found yet another exact match. After some haggling we got the price down to $75 and picked it up the next day. Wow, who is this Craig fellow, and why did he start making a list, anyways? Who knows, but sometimes I think his list would give Santa's a run for it's money. So, our house looks different than it did two weeks ago, and now we are constantly looking for things to sell. The more we get rid of, the more we have to play with and continue to change things around here. So we'll see where it takes us. But we definitely have the bug.

What else is new? The kids are back to school. Tyler is in second grade and Bailey started kindergarten. She even gets to ride the bus and goes to a special program at the high school, where she gets to work one-on-one with high school kids who are taking a class designed to prep them for a career in early education. She likes it so far. And Trevin, well Trevin still insists that he won't be going to pre-school when it starts up again, so things could get interesting there.

Now on to the quotes of the week (or two).

A Bird had pooped on our front door, and Bailey told me that there was something red on the front door. I told her it was bird poop, to which she replied, "Bird's can poop anything?" I laughed and she clarified: "You mean birds can poop any color?"

We were doing our family scripture reading the other day and read 1 Nephi 21:23: (And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers; they shall bow down to thee with their face towards the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the Lord; for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me. ). I often ask the kids questions about what we have read, and give them the chance to earn a piece of candy if they answer correctly. Well, the Isaiah chapters aren't exactly friendly for coming up with kid questions. So after reading this verse, I said Trevin (3 yrs): "So what will they lick?" "Uh, a sucker." Good guess and much tastier, but not the right answer.

Last night at the dinner table, Bailey declared her love for water, to which Tyler replied with the time-honored, kid-tested best comeback of all time: "If you love it, then why don't you marry it." The exchange between them that followed was hilarious. We only wished we had it on tape. But this is the gist" B: "I can't marry water, it's like nothing." T: "I'll use magic to turn it into a fat guy." B: "I'm not gonna marry a fat a guy." It went on and on after that, but it was good to know that Bailey hopes to marry someone who takes care of himself. It reminded me of another dinner table exchange between me and Bailey. I was trying to get her to eat kidney beans, and I told her that even when she was older I would call her husband and tell him to make her eat her beans. She said, "Oh yeah, well I won't tell you our phone number." Bailey 1, Daddy 0.

Well, anyways, that is why I haven't had time for blogging lately. Hopefully, I will be a little more diligent. Thank you to all those who have taken the time to read this, and, leave a comment. They are fun to read. Oh, one other thing, as soon as we can get a new computer, I will start adding photos and videos to this thing, which will hopefully make it more interesting. Peace out.

1 comment:

Ging said...

I love it!! I think we (meaning my side of the family and Scott's) should put together a book of quotes from our children. We write ours down and keep them in a file we titled "Funnies" but I would call the book "Out of the Mouth of Babes" Let's do it!! P.S. Here's one from Amber: "Mom, I got you a surprise for your birthday!!" WOW, um really? What is it?" Amber: "I pierced my lip (or was it her tongue? I forget because of the shock I was in at the time)She added: "Are you surprised?"
This was not quite the surprise I had been hoping for...