Sunday, August 16, 2009

Good Night, Bailey...I Love You

I had a very tender moment with Bailey tonight and I think I should share. I was sitting in the kids' room writing in my journal, as I do each night when I'm home with them. Because of the way the lighting is set up, I sit on the floor leaned up against Bailey's bed. I was writing away, then suddenly stopped, looked up at her on her bed and gently caressed her hand. She laid there and smiled. I smiled back and then rubbed her cheek and told her I loved her. I could tell she was getting a little emotional, so I just smiled and sat back down. She gathered herself, while I exchanged some jokes with Tyler, then I finished writing.

Before I left, I sat on Bailey's bed, gave her a big hug and told her I loved her, again. She gave me a big kiss, then I left to put my journal away. I got half way down the hall and heard the sniffles. I grabbed some tissue, then headed back into their room. I handed her the tissue, and said: "You're not sad are you?" She shook her head no, then said through her tears: "When you said, 'I love you,' it just made me so happy."

Now, I have told Bailey that I love her every day at least a couple times a day, for her entire life, but even a six-year-old can sense the difference of that phrase being said, and being said with feeling. My eyes got a little wet, too, I must admit. I then rubbed her back till she fell asleep. It was quite tender, and another reminder that I should never underestimate my children's need of my love and affection. Just thought I would share...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go, Kent! This could be a new direction for you, speaking blog-ishly...Not that the bathroom reports weren't bad, but...or should I say "butt?"

and thanks for being a good example...